Volunteering at Blossom
The education of any child is a shared responsibility between the home, the community and the school. Parents, as the primary educators, should be actively involved in the educational experience of their child. Volunteering in the school is an ideal way to achieve this involvement and volunteer opportunities do exist for many of our Blossom special events and activities during the year.
Blossom offers select volunteer opportunities for individuals who are available on a consistent basis. Consistency will allow the volunteer to learn and follow the flow of the Montessori environment, and feel comfortable assisting students with their academics. From time to time, we also have a few opportunities assisting with fundraising efforts for our school.
Volunteer Opportunities (September – May):
- 3-6 Classroom – no volunteer opportunities available in this classroom.
- 6-9 Classroom – approved volunteers are welcome Monday-Friday from 9:30am-11:15am; or Monday-Friday from 12:00pm-2:30pm. Schedule subject to change during the 2016-2017 School Year.
- 9-12 Classroom – approved volunteers are welcome Monday-Friday from 11:45am-12:15pm; or Wednesdays 8:45am-10:00am. Schedule subject to change during the 2016-2017 School Year.
- 12-15 Classroom – no volunteer opportunities available in this classroom at this time.
- P.E. Class – volunteers are welcome Tuesday/Thursday/Friday from 8:45-9:30am. Volunteers must be active, be willing to work-out and enjoy doing so in the outdoors environment. Schedule subject to change during the 2016-2017 School Year.
- Fundraising Efforts: Administrative – various volunteer opportunities are available from time to time assisting with administrative tasks for fundraising efforts (i.e. fold letters, stuff envelopes, contact local vendors for silent auction / raffle items, etc.). Volunteers MUST be organized and detailed oriented.
- Fundraising Efforts: Events – various volunteer opportunities are available from time to time assisting with upcoming fundraising events (i.e. silent auctions, dinner events, etc.). Tasks can range from contacting local vendors for silent auction / raffle items, to working one of our booths at a fundraising event. ð
Volunteer Qualifications Preferred
*Experience working in a classroom setting
*Experience working with children (K-8)
*Intermediate signing skills (ASL II or higher)
*Sign books to students in ASL
*Volunteers MUST be 18 years or older. No exceptions.
*Volunteers should be professional at all times. Blossom is an educational environment.
*Volunteers should dress business casual and appropriate for a school setting. No jeans please.
*Volunteers MUST go through Blossom’s complete and thorough application process & background screening prior to volunteering at the school. No exceptions.
Volunteer Background Screening
Blossom conducts a level II live scan background screening through both DCF and VECHS, as well as a local criminal records check through Pinellas County Sheriff’s Department and the county of residence for all volunteers. Volunteers are responsible for the cost of their level II live scan background screening. Volunteers MUST receive full clearance prior to volunteering at Blossom – no exceptions.
Blossom Montessori School for the Deaf is a DRUG FREE – ALCOHOL FREE — SMOKE FREE school zone / work place!! This is to ensure our school is a Drug & Alcohol Free. Drugs can be illegal, prescription or legal such as alcohol. They are not appropriate for consumption while caring for children. No exceptions! Blossom Montessori School for the Deaf has a ZERO TOLERANCE for drugs and immediately dismisses any volunteer found to be in violation. Smoking of tobacco products is NOT permitted within 100 feet of school grounds at all times. No person including parent/guardians, staff, board members, volunteers and visitors may be in possession of a lighted cigarette, lighted pipe, lighted cigar, or any other lighted tobacco product, in the school facility, including the outside grounds. NO smoking area has been designated. The purpose of this policy is to comply with the “Florida Clean Indoor Air Act” in protecting the public health, comfort and environment by creating areas in all school facilities that are free from tobacco smoke.
Classroom Volunteers – currently there are no volunteer opportunities available in the classroom at Blossom Montessori School for the Deaf until September 2016. To request a volunteer application, please contact our Business Manager, Tara Bonano via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fundraising Volunteers – from time to time there are volunteer opportunities available assisting with Blossom’s fundraising efforts. To find out more about how you can help or to request a volunteer application, please contact our Business Manager, Tara Bonano via e-mail at email@example.com.