Blossom Montessori School for the Deaf is one of only two schools in the United States using Montessori methods to teach deaf and hard-of-hearing children using both spoken English and American Sign Language. Our founder, Julie Rutenberg, has proven that deaf and hard-of-hearing children thrive and succeed in a Montessori environment.
Blossom is different and Blossom makes a difference in the lives of children.
- Blossom also enrolls the brothers and sisters of deaf children, and children with deaf parents.
- Class size is small and each child is taught in a language that best fits his/her learning style (spoken English and American Sign Language).
- We have also opened our doors to a limited number of hearing children whose parents want them to learn in an environment that offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to understand a culture much different from their own, and to learn American Sign Language (ASL) which is recognized as a second language by Florida Public Schools.
Our curriculum is based on the Montessori method, which can be summed up in two simple sentences:
- Montessori classrooms allow children to explore subjects in a multi-dimensional and welcoming manner.
- Children learn with their hands, their eyes, and by doing.
Blossom has been recognized as a national leader in the search for an effective way to teach children who are deaf or hard of hearing. Our teachers have a “whatever it takes” attitude when it comes to creativity and they tailor their teaching to the individual needs of each student.
What else makes us so special?
- Our commitment to involving the whole family
- The availability of before/after care
- Extracurricular activities available through the school
We invite you to contact Blossom to learn more about our school. Located in Clearwater, Florida, we accept children ages 2 ½ – 15 years of age.
For more information or to schedule a visit please call (727) 539-7879 or VP# (727) 222-4209.